Law School Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the minimum pre-law education to be eligible to apply for admission?

An applicant must have either a bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or an associate degree (AA/AS) or 60 units of completed college course credits transferable towards a four year degree at a recognized university.

2. What is the minimum undergraduate GPA requirement for admission?

Applicants should have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C) or the grade average at least equal to that required for graduation from the institution last attended.

3. Is the Law School Admission test (LSAT) required for admission?

Yes, the LSAT is required.  The LSAT tests areas such as logical reasoning, organization of thought, reading and comprehension and English writing skills. The scores on the LSAT along with other information provided by the prospective students in the application process is considered by the admissions office to select persons who will most likely be successful in the arduous study of law and pass the required State Bar examinations. No single factor is determinative for an admissions decision as all prospective students are holistically considered based on their entire application materials including interviews. More information on the LSAT can be obtained by visiting:

4. Could I be admitted if I do not have a bachelor’s degree or associate degree or 60 college course credits?

There are persons who display maturity and work experience which may indicate reasonable probability for successful law study. Such persons are considered if they pass the College Level Equivalency Program (CLEP) and score at or about the 50th percentile on the LSAT.

5. When are college transcripts required?

Official transcripts of pre-legal education are required upon application; however, in recognition of the fact that requests for such transcripts may be delayed, unofficial copies are permitted pending receipt of official versions.

Official copies of transcripts showing pre-law education are required no later than 45 days after registration.

6. When can I apply?

Irvine University College of Law (IUCOL) has a rolling admissions policy for prospective law students. Applications are accepted for evaluation year round.  Students begin their first (1L) academic year either in the Fall or  Spring semester.

7. Is academic counseling required prior to admission?

All prospective students must have a one-on-one meeting with the Dean or an Admissions Department staff member to fully review the intended legal academic program.

8. Are Letters of Recommendations needed?

Two letters of recommendation are requested. The recommendations may be obtained from a variety of persons who know the applicant and can attest to the applicant’s good character, aptitude for legal studies or other attributes which distinguish the student.

9. What is the average class size?

Classes range from 5 to 15 students. There is considerable individualized attention and interaction between the instructor and student as a result of the seminar size classes.

10. How long is the law program?

It is a four year program. Classes meet in the evenings on week days and during the week-ends. Each academic year the student may earn approximately 21 – 24 course units. Successful completion of 84 units earns the student the JD degree. It is a difficult personal endeavor to study law and not everyone who attempts the JD program completes it. Personal situations may change over the four years, motivation and interest may lag, and grades may affect the number of students who finally achieve the JD degree. 

11. What is the tuition?

Each unit costs $400. Most courses are three units. A full degree program of 84 units at today’s tuition level is $33,600. Students self-finance their educational costs or participate in a tuition payment plan. There are a number of private lenders that provide educational loans to law school students.

12. Will I qualify to practice law in California?

Yes. Successful completion of the JD degree program at IUCOL qualifies the student to take the State Bar Examination. Upon successful passage of this examination, the student becomes a member of the California State Bar and may practice law in California.

If a student wishes to practice law in another state, the student should contact that state’s admitting authorities for information whether or not completion of the JD degree program at IUCOL will satisfy their requirements for admission to practice law.

13. Are transfer students accepted?

A review is made regarding appropriate course transfer credit. Additionally, admittance may be conditioned on taking of the LSAT or auditing of courses which may require grade remediation or other conditions unique to the transfer student.